ARCHITECTURE: Re-use of Listed Building

Lower Dens, Hotel Indigo and Staybridge Suites

Nomination

Conversion of two grade-A listed former mill buildings into two hotels; a 4-star boutique hotel with 102 bedrooms, restaurant and bar facilities and an aparthotel with 85 studio and one bed suites. The internal courtyard was also developed to incorporate new landscaping with parking spaces and drop off zones for the hotels. The conversion has faithfully restored the historic buildings, matching new building elements to the original design aesthetic and bringing the once derelict buildings back to life. The conversion […]

Continue reading

Mackintosh at the Willow

Nomination

This project was centred around Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s Willow Tea Rooms in 217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.  An A-listed building of the greatest significance for Scotland’s design heritage and recognised internationally as the only surviving Tea Rooms designed entirely by Mackintosh.  Complex issues incorporating artefacts and access in a restricted city centre site had to be addressed.  The acquisition of 215 Sauchiehall Street, the B-listed building next door to the Willow Tea Rooms, provided the necessary space to accommodate the requirements […]

Continue reading

St John’s Church Alterations and Extension

Nomination

St John’s Church is an A listed building in the centre of Edinburgh.  Since opening in 1818 it has been modified several times, the church hall being the most significant addition was completed in 1916. LDN Architects proposals required to address the needs of the congregation, various user groups and the public.  A new entrance was created to the west side of the church hall by relocating the arched opening from the east gable.  A new, larger arched opening was […]

Continue reading

Edinburgh Law School

Nomination

The Law School occupies the entire northern half of Old College, Robert Adam’s masterwork in Edinburgh. This quadrangle building, completed by William Playfair, provided all the University’s accommodation until it expanded into larger and more specialised buildings in the late 19th century. The northern part of the building had become confusing to navigate and was in a poor condition.  LDN Architects has recently completed a major refurbishment of this Category A Listed building to provide contemporary teaching spaces, offices and […]

Continue reading

Queen’s Cross Church

Nomination

Queen’s Cross Church in Aberdeen is located at the convergence of Albyn Place and Carden Place in the city’s West End. The Victorian Gothic, A-listed building has a rich individual character, referencing motifs from a number of architectural styles. The original intention of the project, in gestation for many years, was to reorganise and improve the facilities and in doing so, further promote the Church’s role in the local community. Like many similar structures where the complex of spaces has […]

Continue reading

The Borders Distillery

Nomination

The Borders Distillery in Hawick is the first working distillery in the Scottish Borders since 1837. It began producing whisky in March 2018 and opened to the public in May 2018. The brief was to achieve a first class design to house a new distillery, visitor centre and offices. The client’s aim was also to make a significant contribution to reverse the industrial decline in this part of Scotland, provide a sensitive renovation of a Listed Building which was on […]

Continue reading